Option to disable animations on ereaders

Option to disable animations on ereaders

Postby CreeperLava » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:41 am

I'm using an ereader, and CDisplayEx is the best app I could find (fast display and autocrop). However, I wish there was an option to disable all animations within the app (be it in the menus or, most importantly, page turning). Animations take a lot of time and don't look good on ereaders.
CreeperLava

Re: Option to disable animations on ereaders

Postby Henri » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:54 am

I don't know what you mean by "eReader", could you tell me what is the manufacter and model of your device?
Henri
Site Admin

Postby CreeperLava » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm

It's an Icarus Illumina XL HD. Based on a Boyue model. There's google play support. I should have mentioned all that from the start, sorry :).
CreeperLava

Postby Henri » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 am

Hello,

the app was clearly not designed for this kind of device :shock:
actually this device is not certified by google.

for now I suggest you to change the memory settings:
Maximum Image size for single page <= 4 Mb
Maximum Image size for double page <= 3 Mb

If the app was able to transform and render images in black and white, I think the transitions would be much faster.
But I don't own an eReader with Android, If I have such a device I will check it but for now it is not my priority, sorry.

I hope the memory tweak will make your life easier.
Henri
Site Admin

Postby CreeperLava » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you for answering ! I've activated notifications, so next time I won't take so long to see the answer ;). I didn't mean "certified" by Google, just that you can use the Play Store. Not sure what a certification would change ?

CDisplayEx already uses those settings apparently. The transitions from one page to the next are not instantaneous, but they're fast enough to not be frustrating. Lowering the values doesn't seem to change much. The animations I was referring to were more in menus. Panels that slide in and out, that kind of thing. On an ereader you want to avoid any kind of animation because of how slowly the display updates. I think that kind of option should be fairly easy to implement ?

Also, the comics I'm reading are actually mangas, so they're already black and white. So, no need to transform them.

In any case, I hope some day you'll work on it :). There's no good comic book reader for ereaders yet from what I could test, all of them are plagued with issues and slowness because of all the fancy animations, transparency and the likes. CDisplayEx is the most usable, and for that I'm very thankful.
CreeperLava

Postby Henri » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 am

I added options to disable transition animation effects in version 1.1.93.
Henri
Site Admin

Return to Feature Requests