webp in CBZ

webp in CBZ

Postby Pachilles » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I routinely use ComicRack to convert all my comics to CBZ (CR handles zip faster than rar), then read with CDisplayEx (light, no overhead, etc) Usually this is from CBR, but I found a few CBT files recently.

After reading a couple CBT, I decided to convert the rest to CBZ (as usual). I found that CDisplayEx says each page is broken. huh?

The CBZs and the CBTs both have the same .webp pictures. Finding .webp shocked me, as I'd never heard of it. I even DL'd a webp codec package from Google, so that Windows recognized it like a usual picture. No change in CDisplayEx though. ComicRack reads both ways just fine.

I'm sure this is just one of those weird "oops" bugs, especially since Zip is the oldest compression type, and webp is the newest picture type.
Pachilles

Re: webp in CBZ

Postby invisifan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Actually, tar (ie. CBT) is much older than zip — and reading from it should be faster as well. I don’t believe this is the bug you think it is — check the cbz you created and see if ComicRack added any tag file in a format other that WebP to the cbz or otherwise put a non-webp (ie. jpg) file into the archive. CDisplayEx chokes when there is a mix of file types in the CB* package — including jpg/png combinations (not webp related at all). It is the only major viewer to have this problem.
invisifan

Postby Pachilles » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Other than the usually ignored XML, they are all webp.

Did you try to repro?
If so, ignore it as a fluke. There may have been a faulty file there somewhere.
If not, you owe it to yourself to check. It's a rare case, but better prepared, etc.
Pachilles

Postby invisifan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:59 pm

Not a fluke — any time there is a mix of file types the second shows up as “broken”, but only in CDisplayEx … other viewers have no problem — this usually ends up being a PNG file since there are only occasional times when they are more efficient (B&W text or line-art) so things are generally all PNG or just 1 or 2 scattered images — also seen this with webp CB* files with a jpg notice for older viewers at the end …
invisifan

Postby invisifan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 am

Well, this is just annoying … I rearranged the order of the files in one archive to see if it just insisted on using the first format it encountered … and it worked completely … and when I put it back … it continued to work …

I’ve encountered this several times already with webp-jpg, png-jpg and webp-png … every time there’s been a mix of types, and just abandoned it — now I’m not sure what the problem really is …
invisifan

Postby invisifan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:26 pm

And the behaviour has now gone from annoying to completely bizarre — I have 2 files with the same name in 2 folders (on the same drive) that are crc checked as identical down to the last byte — CDisplayEx says the PNG file at the end is broken in one, but in the other it displays properly …
invisifan

Postby Pachilles » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Sounds like you're having fun.
Pachilles

Postby oX Triangle » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 am

i convert webp to 7zip copy/store-mode
its fastest and smallest archive for webp

here a batchfile (windows)
to archive all directories to cb7 (without thumbnailfiles)

for /d %%X in (*) do "c:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -r -mmt -mx0 "-x!Thumbs.db" "-x!.DS_Store" "-x!__MACOSX" "%%X.cb7" "%%X\"
del tmp.cb7
oX Triangle

Return to Report Bugs