How do you read a folder of jpgs, not a rar? (And other Qs)

How do you read a folder of jpgs, not a rar? (And other Qs)

Postby kenshin77 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:15 pm

CDisplay says it can read loose jpegs, but I'm not seeing how. It loads archives, and you can scroll through the pages, but if you open a folder of jpg images it'll only show the image you selected, with no option to just scroll through the following images. Is there any way for CDisplayEx to treat a folder the same as an archive?

Also a few more issues, the "open folder" option doesn't let me select network locations, though open file does. Also I notice the loading is problematic, and I'm on a very strong PC. When loading a rar, I can't really scroll through an image and read the first page or two, since the loading for some reason effects the performance. Hopefully that can be ironed out. Also, to me it'd make sense to say just cache the next say five images while you're viewing one, maybe something like that would be more seemless.

Just looking for a good replacement for ACDSee, and I appreciate the work put into this, but for whatever reason it's just not performing as well as ACDSee for me. Also, if there was an option to browse folders, instead of just "open file", this program could be a perfect image viewer in general too. But even for comics, those are sometimes loose image files, so some way for that to work would be good, thanks.
kenshin77

Re: How do you read a folder of jpgs, not a rar? (And other

Postby oX Triangle » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm

acdsee have added edit and convert features..
maybe IrfanView (includes the plugins) does more that what you want
oX Triangle

Postby laxarus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 am

Let me point you to some other good programs for image and comic files. Try them all out. Personally, I use all of them based on my needs
I am gonna assume you don't know any of them so spare me if you do.

-CDisplay 1.8.5.0 : That is the most stable and best version of CDisplay, the other versions are buggy or lacking in some aspects. Try to get the exact version

+ Can read, all archive and comic formats
+ Cannot read folders of image files but can read them individually if you trouble yourself with going into that folder and selecting all images.
+ Do not support archive files compressed by a mac system. Throws an error.
+ Does not have animated image support (gif, apng, vs vs)
+ Very light
+ Very easy to use and great readability
+ Does not support nested archive files

- ComickRack:
+ Powerful library and lots of customization features (mysql, mssql or default xml database)
+ A little clunky
+ Hard to grasp complete set of features and usage from the start, you need to read the documentation and manual to actually see the difference from other programs
+ Can read, all archive and comic formats without any error
+ Cross platform (Python)
+ Can convert archive files to e-comic files(cbz) and write comicinfo to them based on metadata
+ Can scrap e-comic metadata but bear in mind that not manga just comics
+ Cannot read ANY folder at all. Image files must be in an archive file for ComickRack to read it.
+ Does not have animated image support (gif, apng, vs vs)
+ Readability falls behind of CDisplay.
+ Does not support nested archive files

- HoneyView3:
+ Can read, all archive and comic formats without any error
+ Can read folders of image files
+ Very light
+ Easy to use and great readability
+ A little bit more complex than CDisplay
+ Supports animated gif but not apng
+ Supports nested archive files
+ Have some minor issues while using multi-monitors with extended desktop setup

As for ACDSee, i don't need to say anything i guess. I still cannot decide whether the ones who wrote that are idiots or not. But i still use it for minor convert operations and editing. It can crash or slow down unexpectedly especially if you are working with lots of files. And the error messages really doesn't make any sense but i like the interface so i still use it. I really do not recommend IrfanView if you are looking for an alternative of ACDSee. Try XnViewMP, it's really great and it's free. Way faster and better than ACDSee without stupid errors or unexpected slow-downs. But like i said, for some reason, i couldn't bring myself to like the interface of it. Maybe bc i am very used to ACDSee. Be sure to get the MP version of XnView bc the standard version, for some reason, doesn't work good for me (Image load times are slow and some other minor problems)
You might ask "What the hell are you doing with all those programs of which nearly do the same work?" Then i gotta say, I also heavily use Photoshop and Perfect Photo Suit too. (Also some minor converters and such). Like i said, it depends on your needs and since mines are pretty wide and a lot, i need to use them depending on what i am doing. But it's a great shame that no single program managed to combine what i need.
laxarus

Postby oX Triangle » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:06 am

btw ComicRack has now support for webp added
and the coder is impressed about this!

look here
http://comicrack.cyolito.com/user-forum ... ebp-format

in moment without lossless mode
this comes nexts releases
oX Triangle

Return to General